Thursday, August 6, 2009

Goodbye Sweet Boy...

Just so you know, this particular blog has nothing to do with interiors or style....

I started volunteering at the Colorado Horse Rescue (CHR), two years ago this month. Those who know me well, know that I love animals. CHR takes in horses for many different reasons. Some horses have been loved and taken care of by their owners, but do to economical reasons, they can no longer take care of these horses and surrender them to CHR. Unfortunately there are horses that come to CHR because they were not taken care of. Horses that have been neglected and abused. When a horse arrives at CHR, they are treated with nothing but respect and showered with unconditional love.

I remember when I first met Ledger when he arrived at CHR in late Winter. I remember the halter strap marks that were scarring his face from a halter that was too small for a growing boy, he wasn't quite 2 years old yet. Ledger was rescued by Animal Control. His living conditions were bad, very bad. He was kept in a small dark stall with two other horses. The thing that I find amazing is that you never would have known what this boy went through before he came to CHR. Ledger was so loving, sweet and most important of all, trusting. He obviously did not hold a grudge, even after he was gelded. I remember having to exercise him after is "procedure". I felt horrible for him, but exercise is necessary to keep the swelling down, so to ease the guilt I ran around the pen with him instead of making him go it alone.

We have had a horribly stormy Summer here in Colorado, and today was no exception. Around 3:45 in the afternoon today, Ledger was struck by lightening. My heart is heavy, but the joy that Ledger brought to my life will never, ever, be forgotten...Goodbye Sweet Boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

subscribe