Monday, March 1, 2010

Mediterranean Blues

I have always been enamored with the Mediterranean. The food, the architecture, the warm weather, the food, oh, already said that. I start thinking of warm locales this time of year and my thoughts inevitably go to the Med. I haven't had the pleasure of traveling there, yet.

This year I seem to be surrounded by more Mediterranean thoughts than usual, I'm hoping it's a sign! A couple of months ago I was looking for Moorish doors and tiles for a clients new home. Last week I entered a sweepstakes to win a trip to Greece. Last Wednesday I bought Greek yogurt, but the best part of this sudden Mediterranean shot in my world was Saturday night. A very special handsome man treated me to a deliciously lovely dinner at Olivea, it was truly fantastic! But that wasn't the end of it.

I have a new client whose house has an Italian feel. There is of course a difference between Italian and Mediterranean, but just to cover all bases, I had to, yes had to, lose myself in a couple of my Med books-as well as Italian-all in the name of research. The book shown above, "Mediterranean Style" is one of my favorites, it captures living the Med life so well. I think the thing I love the most about the style, is that it is carefree with color and texture. The use of color is amazing and one can't help but see the sea with the use of the color blue. Whether the home is Mediterranean or Italian, the importance of the outdoors is apparent.

The patios and terraces are living spaces in and of themselves. Most likely you will find not only a dining area, but a kitchen and living area as well, this has to be where the outdoor kitchen started. The climate of course is conducive to this amount of outdoor living, no worries of a blizzard ruining a dinner party. While our climate here in Colorado is a bit different, I want to live as Mediterranean as possible. I am sooooo looking forward to Summer, hopeful that it will be nothing like last Summer, but until then pass the olives and bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

subscribe