Monday, October 29, 2012

i couldn't agree more: "slovenliness is a sign of a nation in decline..."

I have a new hero, well two actually, thanks to Harper's BAZAAR, Diana Vreeland and Elizabeth Wurtzel.  Ms. Wurtzel wrote one of the most profound articles in the September 2012 issue, "LOOKING BETTER AT 45 THAN 25".  I too feel I look better at, soon to be, 45; I exercise, eat well and I am a style addict.
 
She shared a little tidbit about her early life growing up in a not so glam, near-bankrupt '70's New York City.  The apartment she lived in was government-subsidized, but her mom didn't let her surroundings dictate who she was; "she always wore lipstick-and mascara and high heels" to go to the coin-op laundry.  Her mother taught her "that even if all you are dealing with is a box of Tide and a bunch of junkies, without a coat of Revlon's Cherries in the Snow, a real woman does not step out the door."
 
Elizabeth Wurtzel, as well as myself and I'm sure many others, is "horrified by the onset of slovenliness", after all, it is "common decency to be presentable."  I have to admit while I was reading this article I was wearing a ridiculously baggy pair of Lands End sweats that I bought about 10 years ago.  Even though I was in the comfort of my own home, I suddenly felt "uncomfortable".  I immediately changed into slim fitting yoga pants!
 
The two statements from the article that really hit were, "the current state of slovenliness is a sign of a nation in decline and of a despairing distaff population" and "I am not a mean person, but the sloppiness angers me because it is about a wounded world."
 
Ms. Wurtzel goes on to point out that "not everyone is born beautiful, but absolutely everybody can become so."  I know that when I look good, or at least make an attempt, I feel fabulous.  There are times when I go for a run then pop into the store not looking so stunning, and I apologize.  But I am putting a little more effort into my public, and even private, appearance.  Today I curled my eyelashes and applied a little lip gloss before leaving the house for my run, because I too want the world to be better.
 
If we don't show that we are prideful and respect ourselves, how can we expect others to?
 
Now I don't expect head to toe Chanel to grab some groceries, but come on, pajama flannel pants?  What exactly is one trying to tell the world; I don't care about myself, nor anyone or anything else for that matter.
 
I want to see THIS when I go to the grocery store...
 
 
NOT THIS!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

subscribe